Tuesday, October 01, 2013

October: Stamp Out Breast Cancer

As October was approaching, I thought about Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the projects I would be making to help spread awareness.  I also thought about my friends that are battling and surviving.  And I considered my own hypocrisy.  I was going to tell everyone to go out and get checked, while I had never done so myself -- even though I'm over 40.  I was too afraid.  Afraid of the smooshing.  Afraid of the answer.

So I did it.  I picked up the phone and made the appointment.  When I arrived at the appointed time,  I noticed they had a sticker on my folder that said "FIRST TIME", so they took extra time to make sure I was o.k. at every turn.  The mammogram process was not difficult.  Yes, some of the time I was uncomfortable, but I was never hurting or in pain.   I went home and waited for the phone call that I need to come in again.  But it didn't come.   What did come, yesterday, was a letter in the mail from the radiologist that there was no sign of cancer detected and that the films will be kept to compare with next year's scan.

To my friends and family, those battling cancer and those who inspire and love me:  Thank You!  I'm so glad I did it.  And if you should, please do it.   If something does happen to be wrong, it's much better to find out while something can be done to save you!


My card says "Think Pink" with the awareness ribbon, so it would work for thank-yous, encouragement, or thinking of you cards.  It was created with the A Muse Studio set called "Fight Like a Girl", which you can get for free this month while supplies last (it's just a $3 charge for S&H)



Supplies:
  Stamps:  Fight Like a Girl stamp set by A Muse Studio
  Ink:  Grapefruit & Onyx ink by A Muse Studio
  Paper:  Solid Grapefruit, Chevron Grapefruit and Solid Sugar cardstock by A Muse Studio 
  Accents:  Onyx sheer organdy ribbon by A Muse Studio

This card was published in Stamp & Scrap Arts September 2013 issue (my first time in that magazine!) in a special Breast Cancer Awareness section.

Happy Stamping!

No comments: